In 1962 it was decided that Gonzaga High school would sponsor a Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps. One of the driving forces behind the corps was the founder, Rev. J. Kevin McKenna, SJ, principal of Gonzaga. The first commanding officer was Captain Adrian Cahill.
On a school day in September of 1962, it was announced that a cadet corps would be formed. That very afternoon approximately 20 interested students turned up in the audiovisual room to enrol in the cadet corps.
The corps’ first parade was held at Buckmaster’s Field in October of 1962. In January of 1963, the corps received the corps number “2415” from the recently disbanded St. Bonaventure’s Army Cadet Corps, which was formed in March 1952.
Up to that time, 2415 St. Bon’s had established itself as one of the top army cadet corps in Newfoundland. When St. Bon’s reverted to a grammar school, it’s cadet corps number was transferred to the newly formed Gonzaga High School Army Cadet Corps.
The Cadet corps has been active even since.
In 1988, during out 25th anniversary year, the corps formally adopted the motto “SEMPER MAGIS,” or “Always Better.” The officers and staff of the corps feel that this is a motto that best describes the spirit of the 2415 Gonzaga Army Cadet Corps. The pride, skill and determination of the cadets are obvious by their many achievements, and are demonstrated every time cadets from Gonzaga act individually or as a group.
We are proud to present a challenging programme to the young men and women of 2415 Gonzaga. Over the course of the training year, the corps has a demanding slate of both mandatory and optional training, as well as public parades and community events.